Another Day, Another Moving Truck

If I was asked to describe military living in a word, it would be “transience.”

Even as I write this, sitting in my office staring out the front window of my base home, there is a moving truck taking up the entire view and my soon-to-be ex-neighbor is frantically loading up her belongings.

Moving Truck

I wish I could say it’s hyperbole, but the truth is, I see moving trucks every week come barreling down our street. Some taking families away to their next duty station on another base and some bringing new families to town and dropping them off for their brief two to three year stint here in North Carolina.

Constant change. Continual transition. That is at the core of being a military spouse.

Even though The Pilot and I will not move for another several years, our community is in constant flux.  This realization  then begs the question:

How much effort do I really put into relationships here? How much heart and soul will I choose to pour into lives that, when all is said and done, I may never really know? Why would I continually put myself out there to make friends when they’re just going to leave and our paths are not promised to cross again?

Because Jesus said so. That’s why.

The more I think about it, the more it dawns on me that Jesus is a perfect example for military families. Always on the move, never in one town for long, but always making every effort to be intentional and focused enough to show love, give compassion, and share the good news.

May be one shot is all you get with your neighbor. One interaction was all Jesus had with plenty of people who would forever be changed by the small amount of time He took to look them in the eye and tell them the truth.

So while the house across the street is now empty, I know it won’t be for long. And when the next family moves in, I pray that God would grant me the courage and faith to make every effort to let them know I am glad that they are here and that a helping hand is just next door.

Who is your neighbor today? What door of opportunity has God opened and invited you to walk through?

May we truly believe that no matter how small the calling, the only thing that matter is obedience.

13 responses to “Another Day, Another Moving Truck”

1. Mary K Dunn says:

Meredith,
    Another great blog. Another great awareness. Another convicted heart.

Another fan

• Anne says:

Hi Meredith!

Just stumbled along your blog and you’re such a strong down to earth girl regardless of your hardships. Im thinking of whether to persure my current Marine interest but fearful of how hard it’d, especially because I’m from Australia but hope what’s meant to be evenuates smoothly, and looking up to your experiences for support!

Anne

• admin says:

I’m so glad you stumbled upon this humble little blog! You are most welcome here & it you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to ask!

2. Evelyn says:

This might be my favorite post of yours yet–what a great bottom line for all of us in any sort of transition. Why engage fully? Because this is what life is about and that is what Jesus modeled. Beautifully written truth, friend! Thanks for this… and the new site is LOVELY!!! xo

3. Emily says:

LOVE this. Very much spoke to my heart. We are called to love no matter the outcome or potential benefits (or lack-there-of) to us. I know God will reward you for each act and word of love you express. 🙂

4. Beth Lueders says:

Meredith, thank you for the poignant truths on initiating with others regardless of how long we may live around them. I greatly appreciate your encouraging and challenging words!

5. Beth Lueders says:

P.S. I love the new look of your site. Excellent!

6. Brandon says:

I recently got married (last week)! I think my wife would enjoy reading some of the things you have posted. I will be sure to refer her.

7. Keli says:

Hi Meredith,

I must say I love your blogs, I just subscribed. My boyfriend is currently in USMC Recruit Training and will be graduating in August. I’m so excited. We’ve talked about our future together and I’m super excited yet nervous. How often are you with your Marine, as in living with him? I know once we get married I want to move with him on base.

• admin says:

What a wonderful compliment, Keli! I’m so honored that you read and get helpful and encouraging content here. As far as how often the Pilot is home… it varies honestly. Right now, he is in what’s called “work-ups;” formal preparation for an upcoming deployment at this end of this year. So right now, he’s gone quite frequently; as in, a couple of weeks at a time. That’s not necessarily the norm though. Something do not apply across the board depending on your Marine’s job. Because The Pilot is a pilot, demands on his time is different than that of his ground Marine counterparts. Does that help?